Throughout this document, we may use certain words or phrases, and it is important that you understand the meaning of them. The following is a non-exhaustive list of definitions of words and phrases found in this document:
- "Service" refers to the Site and the services provided through our Site, including but not limited to the facilitation of your participation in the Vamos research study;
- "Site" refers to our website, http://vamos.columbia.edu;
- "User" refers to general visitors to Vamos' Site;
- "Vamos" refers to our research project, our Site, our Service, or a combination of all or some of the preceding definitions, depending on the context of the word;
3. Information Collected
Whenever you visit our Site, we may collect non-identifying information from you, such as your IP address, referring URL, browser, operating system, cookie information, and Internet Service Provider. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, this information alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
4. Use of Your Information
We may use your information to:
- Enhance or improve User experience, our Site, or our Service.
- Process transactions.
- Send e-mails about our Site or respond to inquiries.
- Aggregate and de-identify survey results for research reports.
- Perform any other function that we believe in good faith is necessary to protect the security or proper functioning of our Site or Service.
5. Accessing, Editing, and Removing Your Information
Users may in some cases be able to review and edit the personal information they have provided to us by logging into your account on the Site and editing their account. Although most changes may occur immediately, information may still be stored in a web browser's cache. We take no responsibility for stored information in your cache, or in other devices that may store information, and disclaim all liability of such. In addition, we may, from time to time, retain residual information about you in our backup and/or database.
7. Third Party Websites
Vamos may post links to third party websites on its Site. These third party websites are not screened for privacy or security issues by Vamos, and you release us from any liability for the conduct of these third party websites.
8. Third Party Access to Your Information
The information you provide to Vamos will not be shared with any other party.
9. Release of Your Information for Legal Purposes
At times it may become necessary or desirable, for legal purposes, to release your information in response to a request from a government agency or a private litigant. You agree that we may disclose your information to a third party where we believe, in good faith, that it is desirable to do so for the purposes of a civil action, criminal investigation, or other legal matter. In the event that we receive a subpoena affecting your privacy, we may elect to notify you to give you an opportunity to file a motion to quash the subpoena, or we may attempt to quash it ourselves, but we are not obligated to do either. We may also proactively report you, and release your information to, third parties where we believe that it is prudent to do so for legal reasons, such as our belief that you have engaged in fraudulent activities. You release us from any damages that may arise from or relate to the release of your information to a request from law enforcement agencies or private litigants.
10. Commercial and Non-Commercial Communications
11. Security Measures
We take certain measures to enhance the security of our Site and Service, including SSL certificates and PCI DSS-compliant hosting. However, we make no representations as to the security or privacy of your information. It is in our interest to keep our website secure, but we recommend that you use anti-virus software, firewalls, and other precautions to protect yourself from security threats.
12. Your California Privacy Rights
Individuals under 13 years of age are not permitted to sign up for our Service. If you are aware of someone who has signed up in contravention of our age requirements, please contact us immediately.
Last Modified: July 1, 2013